Nightclub owner beaten and robbed of millions
A Portland businessman who was badly beaten and left to die after being robbed last month, has accused the Manchioneal police of doing nothing to solve the case.
The 53-year-old businessman, who operates a nightclub in the parish, said that since he reported the incident on March 16, the police have treated him like a suspect.
The complainant claimed that on the day in question, a group of men broke into his home and assaulted him for nearly an hour before leaving with cash and items valued in excess of J$2.5 million.
"I don't trust the police. Right now I am fearing for my life. This has affected me so much. Everytime I think about it I cry because I could have lost my life and people saw what took place including the police and nothing has been done," said the businessman.
The father of seven added that he spent several days in the Port Antonio Hospital following the attack where he was treated for injuries to his ribs, hands, nose, left eye and back.
However, when THE STAR spoke to Superintendent Wayne Wellington, the commanding officer of the Portland police, he said that the lawmen have arrested a man in connection with the crime.
"The complainant made a report which was recorded and as a result of that statement one person has been arrested. We are pursuing other leads, but I won't comment any further," he said.